Monday, March 1, 2010

Peddling my wares...

Here's my wee "booth" at the 78704 Artisan Market  this past Saturday... it was a beeeeee-yooooo-tiful sunny day and a fair amount of foot traffic so that was nice.  I made some cute little biz cards with my logo and put out the Grace Orphanage Africa info so people could read about where $1 of each purchase goes to.  I was more excited to talk about the orphanage than I was to talk about my jewelry!  I did pretty well (sold 5 of the 14 necklaces I brought) and lots of people would just walk by and say "pretty jewelry" but not stop and buy anything.  I do think the chains and stones looked extra purty with the sunshine on them!  AND I brought my cute little owl mascot which people liked, especially with my SUPER EXPENSIVE firewood displays. :)


Nate stopped by to keep me company and encouraged me to be more friendly and say "hello!" to every person who walked by... I found this nearly impossible!  I'm am SO not a salesperson.  I'm totally reconsidering this avenue for selling but I did make more in one day of market than I have made with two months on Etsy... sooo, we'll see.


What's next?  I'm going to work on my soldering skills and try more interesting necklaces like this one:
I really do want to commit to being a jewelry designer ... it would be nice to make some money at it and it we ever decide to bring some little rugrats into the world I could contribute to the family bank account with money from my hobby!  Speaking of hobbies, Nate gave me The Coolest Valentine's Day gift ever.  A gift cert to my favorite place on Earth, The Stitch Lab , for a class called "Awareknits: Eco-Yarn".  Here's the description: 


Go green by making your own string! Broaden your fiber repertoire by learning how to recycle everyday items into "yarn" you can use for knit, crochet and mixed-media projects! You'll make a ball each of workable yarn out of spun newspaper, cut t-shirts and grocery bags. Vickie will also provide a pattern for the Extra! Eco! frame front, as well as other project recommendations from her book AwareKnits.


Ok, also, btw, "Vickie ", the teacher, is like, totally famous.  She's on TV!


So, that's the haps for now!
  

3 comments:

  1. Awesome job girl! I love the display! I love the logs! I relate to the "so not a salesperson" dilema. You are seriously the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your jewelry table soooooo cute - you are a very creative girl! I love the chains against the wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on selling some of your necklaces! they do look pretty. I love the super expensive display too. you got good taste. hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete