Monday, January 3, 2011

Winter Cozy Must-Haves

Ok, it's officially Winter and I'm enjoying the excuse to stay inside and drink tea and knit and cuddle with the pups EVEN though it's been in the 60s and 70s here.  I'm totally in "cold weather mode" and I love it!  I made a tummy-warming lentil soup a la Giada De Laurentiis and here's the recipe, it's a keeper:

Lentil Soup (serves 6)

2 T olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped 
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 pound lentils (approx 1.25 c)
11 c low-salt chicken broth
4-6 fresh thyme sprigs
2/3 c dried elbow pasta
1 c shredded parmesan

Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion, carrots and celery.  Add the garlic, salt and pepper and saute until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.  Add the tomatoes with their juices.  Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.  Add the lentils and mix to coat.  Add the broth and stir.  Add the thyme sprigs.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Cover and simmer over low until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.  

Stir in the pasta.  Simmer until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  

Ladle the soup into bowls.  Sprinkle with parmesan, drizzle with olive oil, serve.  

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I got a fun book for Christmas put out by the mag Real Simple, 799 Uses for Old Things and there was a cool idea for a body scrub made from coffee grounds.  So I whipped up a pot o' decaf and put the grounds in a glass jar, mixed them with olive oil, sugar, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a dash of vanilla extract and I tell you what... this scrub actually makes it easier for me to get out of the bed in the morning.  It is invigorating, smells of spiced coffee and leaves your skin super soft.  I'm completely in love.  
And I discovered something awesome recently for Winter skin: 100% Pure Almond Oil.  After my invigorating morning shower I gently massage two drops of almond oil onto my face and my skin has never looked better!  It soaks in so doesn't stay greasy, even on my nose, forehead and chin where I have oil problems anyways.  It smells lovely, won't clog pores and doesn't have all that other additive business most of our products have (and I got it at the grocery store for under $5):
Oh!  And here's a pic of the finished booties I knit for my cousin's new baby girl:
I'm thinking of adding hand-knit booties to my Etsy shop since I'm not all gung-ho on the jewelry making lately and am really excited about working with yarn this Winter.  My next project will be a babyhat for Mo with little bearcub ears.  I haven't found the pattern yet but I'm sure it's out there.  And then I really need to get on that diaper bag made from the fabric my bro brought back from Africa.  So much to do!  I love new projects and new beginnings in the new year!    Happy New Year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment