Monday, January 24, 2011

My First Softie

So, I'm sort of a freak when it comes to reduce/reuse/recycle and I ADORE using old things to make new things and I very much dislike throwing things away.  You may have noticed that what with the tshirt yarn rug and coffee ground body scrub I've blogged about... one person's trash is another's treasure!  So, I've decided to make "softies" for Mo using fabric remnants and Nate's old tshirts.  This is my first attempt and it looks a wee bit wonky but in all honesty, I didn't want it to look too perfect or typical, I wanted it to have a little personality: 

I used a super soft baby fleece remnant for the light gray body and the dark gray tummy is from one of Nate's tshirts.  I guess it's kind of a pillow/softie because I made it big and flat so he can lay his little babyhead on it.  When I was little my mom made me a patchwork dog pillow and I adored the stuffing out of it - I STILL have it and am very careful to keep it from disintegrating.  That sweet dog pillow/softie was made from little squares of fabric remnants my Mom had from dresses she'd made me... her craftiness definitely inspired me to try this little bear pillow/softie. 

Lucky for me the fleece remnant was larger than I'd thought so I made a little matching fleece blanky for Mo -- if we are in Colorado it will get a lot of use as a blanket and if we're in Texas then it will be nice just to throw down on the floor or couch to lay him on:
My Sis taught me this technique of cutting slits and tying knots to finish the fleece edges -- I'm thinking it will be perfect for little babyfingers to grasp and hold. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

So, since Mo's room will have a Noah's Ark / Jungle theme I decided I'd splurge on this awesome animal "totem" from Hobby Lobby (plus the 40% off coupon was a nice incentive):
It's made of metal and will look cool hanging on his wall... I'm really hoping Nate will let me either paint huge leaves on the walls or at least maybe I can find some giant leaf decals... I really want it to feel jungle-y and fun in his room.  I have no idea how old he'll be before he realizes what sort of decor his room has so I guess for a while the room will be decorated for me and Nate to enjoy.  :) 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Oh, and I made another pair of little booties, this time out of a natural-colored yarn speckled with mustard and teal flecks... they're a gift for some tiny babyfeet but I can't say for who because they just got dropped in the mail today and I want them to be a surprise!  :)

Aren't they sweet?!  So many booties to make, so little time!  This Spring there will be some serious babyfeet pitter-pattering around our families' houses.  With my sister-in-law's due-date just six weeks behind ours we're going to have some majorly excited grandparents and aunties and uncles around!   I CAN'T WAIT!  I've reached the third trimester (gulp) and feel like this pregnancy is flying by!  I'm just sooooo freakin' excited to meet this little boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment