Monday, April 19, 2010

April Showers Bring May Flowers.... and an excuse to stay inside and SEW!

After a morning run, some dog wrangling and a bowl of oatmeal I made some tea and got busy on my most important sewing project: my dress for my bro's wedding -- everything except the hem is completed.   Here it is!
Doesn't it just LOOK like Spring?  Sooooo, when I finished the top of the dress as the pattern had directed me I tried it on and it looked like two giant walls erected to house some seriously giant bazoongas... of which I have none... here's a picture of what the dress is supposed to look like:
And here's what I ended up doing:
It looks sort of "blobby" in these pics but is really pretty when it's on.  Trust me.  I'd show you except the pics I took of myself wearing it are nightmare-worthy so you'll have to wait.  Now I just need someone to help me eyeball where the length should be and I'll hem it up and be ready to celebrate The Special Day!  

I couldn't let my creative inspirations stop at dressmaking so I wielded my glue gun and ended up making some feather barrette thingys that I haven't photographed yet but will... they turned out pretty cute but my fingers were "tarred" and literally feathered after the adventure.  I also made a really cool barrette with a vintage applique of a beaded green branch with beaded leaves, it's lovely and I think I'll wear it in my hair to bro's wedding because it screams SPRINGTIME WEDDING IN THE MOUNTAINS!  Then I remembered that I'll be setting up a table in a few weeks to sell my necklaces so got back to business and made this beauty:


I thought it was an interesting necklace, I like the different gold and brass colors and the "found objects" feeling of it. I have many more to make and will post pics as they are completed. 

And now, back to the grind.  xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love that necklace. I LOVE LOVE LOVE stuff that is unique and unbalanced like that. And dude, you made a dress?! I can't make clothes. Bags, sure. Clothes, forget it. I can't even hem Simon's pants properly. Disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you are AMAZING!!!! I L O V E the dress!!! I am even more sad that I sent the package to the wrong place, as I included some great vintage fabric you would have loved. And, as always, great necklace!!!!! So talented!!!

    ReplyDelete