Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What would make someone want to sew a tshirt blanket in August in Texas when it's 108 degrees outside? I guess if they were pregnant that may appeal to them...

First of all, today is our THIRD WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!!!  WOOT!!!!!!  I'm even MORE in love with Nate today than I was on our wedding day, crazy how that happens.  Every day I realize God's blessing of joining us together... ok, some days I've been too selfish and moody and gloomy and unrealistic to feel the blessing... but even on those days Nate STILL loves me.  That's something you just cannot take for granted.  I just have one beef... those crazy eyes he does to ruin all of our pictures...



Ok, next order of business:
I cut this out of the paper last week, F-Minus is my favorite cartoon -- actually it's the only one I ever read because it's placed directly below the crossword every day and THAT is my favorite.  But, it's really really funny because I didn't realize I WAS PREGNANT WHEN I CUT IT OUT!!  Ok, actually I'm barely pregnant, only 3.5 weeks.... but pregnant nonetheless!  Woot to the ever-lovin' MAX, dudes! 

So, last week I was wondering why I was sitting inside with a mug of tea serging together all of my old tshirts and backing it with flannel (yes, flannel in August in Texas should be outlawed)... I was NESTING!  Bogey likes it!  It's all balled up but here's the front (with a tiny Bogey): 
   And here's the flannel backing:
Ok, so it looks like it's Bogey's blanket but come Wintertime he's gonna have to scoot over just a smidge and let my chilly self in there!  

Oddly, I also made soup last week.  Hot.  Soup.  In the Summer.  In Texas.  See?  I should have wondered what was going on inside of me.  Anyways, the soup was major yumcity and of course I was intrigued because it's called West African Peanut Soup and that's where my brother's orphanage is... so here's the recipe for y'all!



West African Peanut Soup

1 T olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup) 

1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1-2 t minced, peeled fresh ginger
dash of cayenne pepper
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
2 1/2 c water, divided (i used soy milk)
1/2 c tomato juice (i used tomato sauce)
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/2 c creamy peanut butter (i used crunchy almond butter)
5 green onions, chopped

Heat olive oil in large saucepan.  Stir in yellow onions and carrots and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.  Add ginger and cayenne; cook 1 minute.
Add sweet potato, 2 cups water, tomato juice, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Ladle soup into bowl of a food processor.  Add peanut butter.  Cover and process until smooth.  Pour into a clean pan. 
Heat soup over low heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup water to thin if desired.  Ladle into soup bowls and top each serving with green onions.  Serves 3. 

I also put plain greek yogurt on my soup... yumcity.  


<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Alrighty, and here's something awesome and fun.  My father-in-law has taken up a new hobby and I'm honored to get to participate in it!  He's going to provide me with lovely coins set in unique bezels and I'm going to try to sell them!  He'll take only cost of materials back and is donating the rest of the profit to Jonathan's orphanage!  Seriously!  How rad is that?!?!?  I'm going to take them with me to sell here in Austin at First Thursday and also I'll have them up on my etsy shop!  So, here are some examples of what he's got: 


Aren't they beautiful?!  I'm majorly loving them.  And I think they're current yet totally timeless.  Yea! 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Well, I'll keep y'all posted with any new developments in my womb but I'm still focusing on "Hollyberry Jewelry, etc" and not just "Hollyberry Baby, etc".  :)  Maybe my crafts will gravitate a little more towards the edgy pregnant gal, or cool mom-on-the-go or sassy baby stuff, we'll see!  

1 comment: