Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ok, ok, ok, I'm back... AGAIN!

Sooooo, another dry spell in blogging land for me.  It's like I'm out of words or something!  That just can't be possible... perhaps the apocalypse is drawing nigh.  

Anyways, last week I had my very first First Thursday here in Austin.  It was a scorching hot day to sit in the direct sun for several hours in front of a table of your own jewelry but I did it anyway... and I wasn't alone.  My friend Grace came along and generously donated her afternoon and evening to sitting next to me watching the people pass by.  

We did get to enjoy GIANT shaved ices and food that came in paper cones so that was definitely a perk.  The sad part was, I sold not a thing.  Really, no one bought anything!  Plenty of people said they liked my jewelry and took a card but no one purchased anything.  I got home and told Nate I was bummed out and proceeded to fill him in on my day and as I was rambling and smiling at the same time Nate says "you don't seem like you had a bad day"... and he was RIGHT!  It was true!  Even though I didn't sell a ding dang thing, my day was lovely.  It happened to be National Prayer Day so I had prayed in a tiny training room at work with a handleful of amazing ladies earlier in the day and really felt something awesome.   And then I got to leave work early to set up my table in the sun and as soon as Grace got there time flew by while we talked to people and reminisced and enjoyed fun food and icy treats.  

I had just happened to set up my table across from some people with cool wooden furniture and macrame plant hangers.... their stuff was called "Renew" and it was all made by homeless people and all of the proceeds go directly back to the homeless.  Nate and I have been brainstorming for a few years about ways to help the homeless, really really help them, not just give them our hard-earned money for who-knows-what.  I was definitely inspired.  Then a nice girl from Renew came over to Grace and I and we ended up chatting for quite a while and turns out she goes to a cool church which takes place in a bowling alley... Nate and I ended up going last Sunday and I really like it, everyone was really friendly and around our age. 

Yes, it was a great day.  

1 comment:

  1. Dude, it is crazy how those things can either be feast or famine. I tried 4 of them, and never sold a-one. Guess people like the web better these days!

    ReplyDelete