Thursday, February 18, 2010

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!! Oh, ok. You may have some soup...



Are you looking for a yummy and easy Winter soup recipe?  It will make your house smell lovely with the rosemary roasting in your oven and the soup is gluten-free and can be vegetarian!  I always seem to have extra potatoes and can't manage to get out of the grocery store without a can of chickpeas so this recipe is right up my alley... plus I had an adorable rosemary plant up until the first freeze of the Winter, poor little plant was outside all night and became bereft of life.  RIP, my sweet little rosemary... sniff...   Anyways!  The soup!  The soup!  The soup is DEEEEE-licious.  Here ye are:

Ingredients:
2 large russet potatoes (about 1 1/4 lbs), chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 t fresh rosemary, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 T extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 c chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
1 c nonfat milk (soy milk will work if you're vegan)
1/4 c greek style nonfat yogurt for garnish, optional (sour cream works too)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  In large bowl, toss potatoes, rosemary, garlic, oil and dash of salt and pepper.  Spread evenly onto roasting pan or baking sheet with a lip.  Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.  Stir in chickpeas and roast an additional 10 minutes.  Remove from oven.

In a large pot, add potato mixture, broth and milk.  Stir and bring to a boil.  Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.

Ladle two-thirds of soup into blender or food processor (or use immersion blender leaving some chunky bites); blend until smooth.  Pour back into pot; cook another 5 minutes.  Ladle into four bowls.  Top each serving with 1 tablespoon yogurt.

Makes 4 (1 1/2 cup) servings

PS: I wish I'd invented this gem of a recipe, but alas, the truth is I found it at http://www.spryliving.com/ and am merely passing it along to you, my lovely reader.   :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the sound of that recipe - I actually have rosemary growing on my windowsill and didn't know what to do with it! I'm making it soon. Love you, Mum

    ReplyDelete